Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yalpha Mingle



This is my first of the monthly Yalpha Mingles on the byhandartists yahoogroup. Yalpha is Y for Yogi, our hostess, and alpha for the alphabet (English, that is). The challenge is to use a letter that is a minimum of 3" on a 4x 4.5 page and then decorate the page with symbols, quotes, images representing the letter. I used one of my favorite backgrounds posted by Wanda, a group member. The details are in a previous post. Gesso with 3 layers of paint lightest to darkest,leaving a bit of the original layer visible, dried between each layer except for the last which is spritzed with water allowed to sit a minute or two and then dabbed (in this case) or wiped off.
I used a pale yellow acrylic first, followed by a purple twinkling H2O and a green twinkling H2O. The results are muted but remind me of Easter and spring. I stamped a word stamp with gesso, which is really not visible with the "b" attached.
I used another stamp in the bird series with wisteria chalk ink next.
I like my new bird stamp so I chose a bigger than the page "b" chipboard letter. Gesso, purple twinkling H2O with some intentional brush strokes, dried, stamped with a nest stamp in Archival Ink Jet Black. The bird is also stamped with the same ink on white cardstock and cut out and woven through the opening of the "b". The "believe" is a word stamp I have that is self-inking. Same little nest on the back in the same ink, eggs painted with the purple twinkling H2O.

4 comments:

okanagan_spirit said...

that is so gorgeous beth

Yogi said...

I forgot all about that background Technique. It worked out beautifully for this mingle. I really have to clean out my stashes and find all my treasures. Sheesh. Thanks for the reminder and the details.

Art By Wanda said...

A beautiful page!!!!

Beth Akins said...

Thanks for all the comments!