Friday, June 15, 2007

Happy 29th Birthday, Amy


How exciting I hope it is, despite your homesickness, to spend your 29th birthday in Africa doing meaningful work. I read with great interest Nick Kristof's column today. He and his student/teacher team are in Rowanda while you are in Uganda. I'm so proud that instead of wishing that the world was a better place, you are doing something to make that wish come true. If Kristof's appeal for essays congealed your plans to go no matter, then cheers to him as well. I hope he realizes that his appeal alone is making a difference in the respondants' lives and the world.
My wish for you, sweet girl, is a wonderful, fun, life-changing taste of this wonderful planet we live on, filled with incredible people to know and love. Remember when language becomes a barrier or you feel lonely that love is a universal language. A knowing glance, the touch of hand to hand, or hand to shoulder, just sitting with someone-all convey love. I love you dearly and am so proud to call you mine. May your day be filled with peace and joy and love, Mom

No comments: