Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent

is here!  I'm feeling very festive and enjoying welcoming the advent season in ways I haven't for a while.

We started the season is really fun ways at church. Robert played the "Charlie Brown" Christmas song on the guitar and his son surprised him and joined in on the harmony on his guitar on the second verse. Super sweet. I wish I'd had my phone recorder on.
I love the advent candle display.  Pillar candles of varying heights so that as they are burned they will be more even sit on a tray of cranberries and succulents. So sweet I may have to duplicate here.
For our advent "calendar" we are decorating boxes filled with what we hope to find during advent. Right down my alley- I did two!  We are hoping for at least 7 each week, one for each day of the week. This week we had 6. I'll probably do another this week, too. The creativity in this group is inspiring for me and I love seeing the evidence of it every week in meaningful ways.
There is a lovely wall hanging that I'll share another time.
On to the advent boxes. I made on for Peace-I used Martha Stewart punch around the page snowflake and punched with square punch. I die-cut the letters with my Cuttlebug and glued to snowflakes which I attached with tabs and double stick tape to various depths of the box. Added the flameless candle to cover a little round hole in box! Wrapped exterior in foil and sponged alcohol ink on the shiny interior. The other box is Happiness and is a vintage image enlarged and cut out. I double cute the outside and pop dotted onto the bottom layer. Added a brad with a hanger and threaded gold ribbon through brad and out top of box and tied in a bow. Lined the interior of the box with pink cardstock.
The worship table
This is Shameka's super fun box (we both used flameless candles!)

Sophia behind her box and one of my boxes

Sue(bottom) and I hope for Peace


Kate's "outside the box" box-can't wait to see what grows!




This week I plan to make a Jack in the Box type box-it's already in my head-now to find the box!

4 comments:

donna said...

Bethy...do you go to Sue's church now? That's wonderful.

If I owned a cuttlebug (whatever that is) would I automatically be a crafty person?

It's always such a pleasure to read your posts. The loves oozes through.

donna

lindalou said...

I really like the advent candle idea..using the different size candles. So clever.

The boxes are a great idea. Can't wait to see your jack-in-the-box come to life.

Beth Akins said...

Donna, I DO go to Sue's church and now it's mine, too! I love it! Thanks for reading and yes, you would magically become crafty just owning a cuttlebug!

Amy said...

Can't wait to get my craft on with you in just 3 weeks! :) YAY!!!!
Post some photos of this week's boxes!