Sunday, March 01, 2009

Pictures and the final meal


I've added pictures to the previous Seattle posts if you want to go back for a look.

I awakened a little after 7 AM and knew I'd better head out for the 6 block walk to Cafe Besalu, for their wonderful pastry offerings. The last time I went, the line was way out the door and the wait 45 minutes or more. It's a tiny little place with maybe 4 tables, another 4 outside in good weather. I got there by around 7:45. A line, but I did get inside the door. Probably 7 people in front of me. I like to ask the patrons in line with me what they like, I'd hate to miss out on something wonderful that I wouldn't think of. The woman behind me added the pain au chocolat to my order. I like to say it is her fault that I have another pastry addiction now.
I love the Gruyere onion tart and got one for each of us. A savory morsel of flaky crust with the above flavors inside and barely peeking out. See it in the middle? Yum. One each of the pain au chocolat, apple tart and orange pastry to add to the bag for a balance of sweet and savory, a small latte and I was headed back to pack and shower before the rest of the household got up. Every bit worth the cold walk early on a Seattle Sunday.
We enjoyed every bite and played one last round of Scrabble. I had to bow to Rachel on this one. Off to the airport for an uneventful flight home filled with great memories to pull out from time to time when I long for a visit with Amy and Rachel or to savor the cuisine of Seattle.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Wow! What a great trip, and delicious details! How did your hand do while you were there?