Saturday, October 03, 2009

Fall Farmer's Market






Can you feel the fall air blowing the slowly coloring leaves under a clear blue sky in KY? Ah, I love fall! We took our leisurely walk to the FM today. First stop: peppers for the chili I smell cooking downstairs right now. I got these lovelies-remember the Sweet Chocolate variety? The greens came from this farmer, too, leaf lettuce and chard with a little bronze fennel! I stuck with the sunflowers today but picked the variety with some brown variegation for a fall change-up. I got 6 ears of corn, 4 I'm cutting off the cob for the freezer and 2 we'll have for dinner tomorrow. Jim loves Granny Smith apples and they were at the market today! He'll be having cheese and apple soon I think. I couldn't pass up one of Theresa's cinnamon rolls. Doesn't it look yummy? The cream cheese icing is the crowning touch! Jim decided it was time to do a roast in the crockpot. Yum, can't wait!Here's a little Jack-o-lantern I made out of a tiny pumpkin last week. I used it just as a luminiere Saturday night and then cut the face. I plan to enjoy more of these cuties this month. Very easy to scrape out the insides but doesn't last quite as long as a larger pumpkin. I have loved seeing the wide varieties of pumpkins at the market. There was a beautiful white one that had orange variegation. It was spook-tacular.
Isn't fall grand?

3 comments:

lindalou said...

I love your little pumpkin. I've always been attracted to small pumpkins rather then big ones.

Haven't gotten out to the cider mill yet (that's where I always pick up my pumpkin). Maybe Sunday!

donna said...

I haven't been posting or reading blogs for a bit. Giving my brain a rest. I read this last week but didn't get around to commenting. How far into the year is your farmer's market up and running? BTW, I did see your USA Today recognition. That was very impressive. We're off in a bit on a weekend trip with the Corvette Club.

Beth Akins said...

Good to take a break every now and then! Our market goes until early December and the meat and egg folks are almost year round! Thanks for reading the USA today article. It was fun to do and definitely the largest readership I ever had!
Enjoy your weekend!