Friday, July 09, 2010

Watermark resist

Again, without just the right materials, this didn't turn out as well. I used a versamark water resist pad (VWR) as opposed to the ranger product because I had the versamark on hand.  Fair warning from Claudine that the result will be different and it was. Really different.
To an acrylic background, I applied a stamp saturated with the VWR and immediately applied a watery black acrylic wash over it. You can barely see the very light blue color in the back ground.  It was so unremarkable that after it was dried, I painted the entire surface again with blue paint. Then repeated the process with the bird stamp and flourish stamp, with a little better result but not something I would do again. I think the Ranger pad would be needed to give the right effect. Embossing resist would be similar but in the next technique,  I think washing over the wet resist would be what would give the good results.
The next technique was a peeled paint technique using a red background. I streaked the painted surface with VWR and immediately washed with the pink (yucky acrylic paint I had) You really couldn't see anything until in the process of drying, I also rubbed a bit off with a towel. I can imagine how the water drops would have looked using the Ranger product. I like this one much better than the first.
You know it's like doing a home project, it's all in having the right tool.
I'm learning how to get some interesting looks and also some I wouldn't want again. Mostly because the particular technique's success really does require certain materials for the best result.
If I get the Ranger product, I'll repeat the process and let you know how it goes.
Oh, my paper cutting class was cancelled due to lack of sufficient interest. I thought it sounded great and was very reasonably priced. They are talking about doing a workshop in the fall that will be one day only. We'll see what comes of that.
I also got an email that my sketchbook for the Sketchbook Project has been shipped. I've been imagining what I'll do with it. Haven't quite decided. Deconstruction and reconstruction is floating in the back of my mind.
I have a coupon for Michael's, I'll probably get the Ranger Resist pad with it tonight or tomorrow.

No comments: